You can also follow me on:

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Germany | Dachau.

Whilst staying in Munich I took the opportunity to go and see the Dachau Concentration Camp - I got told it was a great day trip. I do not really have any words to describe it. It hurts me to think about it and taking shots never felt so wrong. As you walk through the entrance to the camp you read the words "Arbeit macht frei", meaning "through work one will be free".

The camp was divided into two sections: the camp area and the crematorium. The camp area consisted of 69 barracks, including one for clergy imprisoned for opposing the Nazi regime and one reserved for medical experiments. The courtyard between the prison and the central kitchen was used for the summary execution of prisoners. The camp was surrounded by an electrified barbed-wire gate, a ditch, and a wall with seven guard towers.

It was disturbing to be there. Seeing the faces of the people who died there and hearing the voices recorded at the camp chilled me to the bone. Here are a few shots I took, they sort of really dont tell the story well enough.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Nick Found

No comments:

Post a Comment